The first ever Scottish Startup Weekend took place in Glasgow on the 25-27th May 2012. The challenge was for entrepreneurs, designers and developers to build and launch a tech startup in just 54 hours.
Starting on the Friday evening 24 people pitched their ideas and after frantic voting, 11 ideas were selected for the weekend. All the attendees then adopted themselves into a team and started trying to ignore the rarely seen Scottish sunny weather to get developing.
The 11 teams were:
- Gifty: your friends, the perfect gifts. The best way of taking guess work out of buying gifts for your close ones: http://join.giftyapp.co.uk/ @gifty_app
- Tasteomatic: good local food! Your online market for local and artisan foods. http://www.tasteomatic.com/ @tasteomatic
- PostPod: Your personal postbox at the airport. Helping you send home the goods you can’t take on the plane. @postpod
- BetMate: customised tablet PC which enables users to place realtime bets at sporting events along with sports live streaming. http://bet-mate.co.uk @Bet_Mate
- VegPin: Helping vegans find quality food. Helpful app providing a clear concise way for vegans to find quality food. http://vegpin.com/ @vegpin
- TeamFunded: Build a team, get funded. Joining the community, forming teams not just based on skill but personality as well then get them funded.
- http://www.teamfunded.com/ @teamfunded
- SaveMeNet: creating a safer community. Voice recognition mobile app which sends your location to contacts and law enforcement when you scream for help. http://savemenetapp.co/ @savemenet
- Appurchase: the m-commerce solution for retailers. Brings the simplicity of e-commerce into the store by enabling the consumers mobile device to be the point of sale. http://www.appurchase.com/ @appurchase
- Fabricbook: the fabric search engine. Fabricbook is the ultimate resource for fabrics online. Find the fabric you’ve been looking for and order a sample. http://signup.fabricbook.co.uk @fabricbook
- X-Tribe: Right here, right now, find your tribe. Ever needed a last minute sports-buddy? X-tribe is an online platform that matches adventurous people through their sport, location and skills. http://www.xtribe.co/
- SportHack: Bring hacking to sports, competition to hacking. SportHack is a national event for sports related hardware and software hacks to compete against each other at a live final. http://sporthack.com/ @sporthack
After the final pitches the winners were VegPin, SportHack, X-Tribe, Appurchase, Gifty and PostPod with the main prize going to the PostPod team as the business ‘Most likely to make a million’.
There were so many brilliant ideas and it was great how the teams of strangers gelled together to work long hours and build something from nothing. Huge congratulations to everyone.